The Everett Chorale Association
P. O. BOX 485
Everett, WA 98206
Location: Everett, Washington
Type of Position: Artistic
Application Deadline: April 10, 2021
JOB DESCRIPTIONDownloadable version
POSITION: Artistic Director/Conductor – The Everett Chorale
The Everett Chorale has been providing quality choral music performances in Snohomish County for the past 55 years. The choir was originally formed in 1965 as an academic program of Everett Community College (ECC). In the fall of 1993, the Chorale became an official not-for-profit organization. This outstanding group has participated in numerous national and international choral festivals and appeared in concert at Benaroya Hall, St. James Cathedral, and St. Mark’s Cathedral in Seattle. The Everett Chorale has also participated in programs for local service groups (“concerts for a cause”), civic celebrations, and sing-outs for community groups and businesses.
The Everett Chorale Artistic Director/Conductor (ADC) will lead weekly music rehearsals (mid-September to early June) and prepare the choir for three concerts (December, March/April & June) along with one major fund-raising event and various smaller ensemble performances as deemed appropriate for outreach purposes. The ADC will be dedicated to creating positive and educational experiences for members so that singers will develop and improve their musical skills and love for choral singing. The ADC is responsible to the Everett Chorale Board of Directors and will strive to embrace the mission, values and vision of the Association.
- Annually develop a comprehensive artistic plan for the Everett Chorale that provides the basis for the budget, fundraising and planning for the year.
- Select repertoire and present recommendations for the next concert season to the Everett Chorale board for use in developing the next fiscal year budget and calendar.
- Provide artistic direction and leadership that embraces the Everett Chorale mission, vision and values.
- Advise the Everett Chorale board on all artistic aspects of the chorale. Attend and participate in board meetings as an ex-officio member.
- The ADC will demonstrate effective decision-making concerning organizational goals that will provide a positive rehearsal and performance environment for singers and exciting programs for the audience members.
- Choose and prepare appropriate music for each performance. Programming content for each season with cost estimates for music purchase, orchestra personnel, equipment rental, and special guest artist honorariums will be presented for Board review and support.
- Reflect the Everett Chorale Association mission, vision and values in programming and direction.
- Attract and retain a broad and diverse spectrum of community audiences.
- Establish the plan for the Everett Chorale’s annual program including
- Concert dates and venues.
- Arranging for accompanying soloists and instrumentalists within budget parameters.
- The ADC will hold auditions and/or voice placement interviews at the beginning of each concert cycle for new and existing choir members as needed.
- The ADC leads weekly and special rehearsals with sectional rehearsals as deemed appropriate throughout the choir season.
- Periodically conduct vocal assessments of Everett Chorale singers for correct vocal placement in the choir, or to create smaller ensembles.
- Recruit, audition and select Everett Chorale singers for ensembles and solos including soloists.
- Employs a pedagogical approach in developing chorale members.
Public Relations and Marketing
- The ADC will work closely with the Board Marketing Committee to provide resources necessary in producing all printed materials such as programs, season brochures, postcards, poster/flyers and press releases which are deemed appropriate for the growth of the organization.
- The ADC will assist with the organization and managing of Board-approved festival participation and/or concert tours or trips.
- Bachelor's degree in music, music education or choral conducting required. An advanced degree in music is desirable.
- A minimum of five years of successful choral conducting experience or equivalent.
- Strong vocal pedagogy and choral conducting skills.
- Demonstrates good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience planning and conducting virtual (online) programs and concerts is desired.
- The ADC will be engaged for a minimum commitment of one year as an independent contractor.
- Compensation amount will depend on experience and performance and will be paid in 12 equal monthly payments.
- The Everett Chorale typically rehearses weekly for 2.5 hours from September to June with three concerts and additional performances.
For more information, contact Cheryl Grohn, Search Committee Chair,
Cherylg@aol.com, or 425-327-5649
Send completed application form and cover letter with resume to:
Cheryl Grohn, Search Committee Chair, Cherylg@aol.com
To engage, inspire, and educate our singers, audiences, and community through the power of musical performances emphasizing a historically and culturally diverse repertoire.
The Everett Chorale will be a premiere and diverse community chorus enriching the cultural arts life of our community and the musical experience of our singers.
Everett Chorale Website and Social Media
The Everett Chorale website is www.everettchorale.org. This site includes information about the Everett Chorale and its long community history, upcoming events with current season and ticket pricing, a page on becoming involved in the chorale, Singer’s Notes for members of the group, a Sponsor’s page, and a donation page.
The Everett Chorale’s facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/TheEverettChorale.
Featuring current information, photos, along with member and community posts and upcoming events, this page is actively managed by the Everett Chorale before and during our regular season.
The Everett Chorale’s youtube channel is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFcMmYycT5m67Nm3c4EovYw. Featuring recordings of past performances, this page is actively managed by the Everett Chorale during our regular season.
Artistic Director/Conductor Selection Timeline
- March 1, 2021: Position is posted.
- April 10, 2021: Posting is closed.
- April 10-20, 2021: Selection committee reviews candidates’ submissions.
- April 20, 2021 Final candidates receive detailed review including background and reference checks.
- April 30, 2021 Finalists prepare for a rehearsal in front of the chorale submit recording or web site with recent performance.
- May 11-31, 2021: Finalists scheduled for one hour at separate scheduled rehearsals with chorale or select group.
- June 5-15, 2021: Offer made to final candidate.
- June 20, 2021: Announcement of new conductor and 2021/2022 season announced.
Everett Chorale Association Board
The Board is composed of singers and volunteers who are vitally interested in the success of the Chorale. Their task is to ensure the smooth operation of the business and organizational aspects of the Chorale, including budgeting and financial support, marketing, correspondence, policies, and providing as much assistance as possible to the director. The Board meets the second Tuesday of the month (except for December, July and August) at 7:00 PM at Our Savior's Lutheran Church. Meetings are open to all Chorale members. During the pandemic, meetings are held virtually.
2020-2021 Everett Chorale Association Board Members
|First Name||Last Name||Position|
|Artistic Director and Ex-officio member|
Current Everett Chorale Status
As of March, 2020, with the onset of the COVID pandemic, all face-to-face rehearsals and concerts were cancelled. Online rehearsals were held, and a series on-line classes to develop musicianship were planned for the fall of 2020.
On July 31, 2020, Jennifer Rogers, the Artistic Director/Conductor, tendered her resignation. She had completed her DMA in June of 2020, and accepted a full-time position at Iowa State University.
With Jennifer’s departure, the Everett Chorale has been holding monthly online Zoom meetings, with updates as well as singing along with previous concert songs, and weekly social gatherings. The Everett Chorale Board has continued to meet virtually and has taken this opportunity to review and update the Chorale’s mission, vision, and values, as well as chart a course forward. A virtual fundraising event “Friends of the Everett Chorale – Protect the Flame” was held in May and June. 2020. Over $17,000, was raised, with enthusiastic support from the Chorale's members and community supporters.
The Board has decided to hire an Artistic Director/Conductor for 2021/2022, and is looking at a variety of approaches to engage, educate, and inspire our members, as well as keep our community informed and involved. The Board is particularly interested in containing the tradition Jennifer established of “concerts for a cause” and partnering with community groups in innovative ways. The attached 2019-2020 concert season calendar was cancelled after the Beethoven’s Ninth performance at Benaroya Hall; however, it gives good insight into the Chorale’s desired direction for the future.